Sunday, September 18, 2011

1. Leaders and Collaborators

Previous to the reading, I would have described a leader solely as a person with a strong, charismatic, and influential personality who inspires others to follow them. I still think that this is somewhat true; however, I realize this is only part of the story. According to ideas written in chapter one of Exploring Leadership, people view leaders in many different ways: from the view I described above to the other far end of the spectrum in which a leader is not a recognized individual but rather a group of individuals working together toward a common goal, with each person contributing equally to the ideas and direction of the group. I think I am settling with a mash-up of both examples where there is a distinguished leader who contributes largely to the group yet receives much counsel and direction from the co-creators in the group.
These thoughts on leadership lead me to consider whether I consider myself a leader or not. Before attending North Central I would have easily responded, “Yes” to this question. Now, however, I am left wondering about this. If I am a leader, am I good leader? By all technical standards, yes, I am a leader. I am an Orientation Leader, a leader of the nursery at my church, a former worship leader, and a leader in friendships. Yet I have put so little thought into the effectiveness of my leadership and my leadership styles that I am left wondering if I am a good leader.
This brings me to realize a few things which I hope to learn through Leadership Development: how do I lead? What is the best method of leadership for me? In what situations is it better that I lead and when is best for me to be a collaborator instead? I know that through my experience of being an Orientation Leader I will be able to grow and hopefully test out new ideas which I learn through this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment